Spring rolls and Avocado Toast for Dinner?


The evenings as a student missionary are always busy, but it’s in the little moments where I find so much joy. At least 2 to 3 times a week I go to an expat house. My favorite times, are when I am the only SM. Don’t get me wrong I love when everyone is there, but when it’s just you, you can almost pretend you are a part of the family. Last week, after Monday game night, I went up to the Hardings. We just hung out. Alica came home and we had spring rolls and avocado toast for dinner. (If you haven’t tried that combination you should!) Then we just talked about our days. A beautiful moment that meant the world to me. 




There are some mornings I sleep in, due to having to schedule a 1am meeting with people in the States and I'll have to stay up late. Those mornings are my favorite.  Everyone in the house is waking up and we all sit around the living room/kitchen/dining room and talk; about our days, what we look forward to, what we are dreading. We laugh together about the absurd things that happen in Africa and reminisce about home. We all eat different breakfasts, I usually eat yogurt & granola. At first I didn’t know if I would connect with these girls, but now? It feels like family.  This is our dining room and living room.




Maybe one of the strangest things that I adore, is anytime we have orange gluten or tofu or anything of that nature.  I first came up with the orange gluten idea on crusade, and now its been a meal we have at least once a month. I’ve had it four or five times at the Hardings, once at the Blacks and twice at our house. It’s become a fast favorite. I love making it, because everyone loves it. There is nothing as satisfying as feeding a group of people you love good food. Honestly I can understand the stereotype of Grandma’s loving to bake for their families. Do yourself a favor and make orange gluten!

I love watercoloring at the Black’s house. Me, Jane and Charlotte sit at the big table overlooking the bananas and paint. Anything that comes to our minds we paint. Pineapples, skies full of clouds and magical lands with crazy animals. It’s a moment of peace and creativity that I look forward to every Sabbath. Our paintings fill their walls and it’s so much fun to watch them put up the ones we have finished. 



There are so many small things that make living here amazing. I hope you like the short peak into my day to day!




Also, I went to Cape Town South Africa in February.  Such an amazing place!  Here are a few picts.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crusade Year 2: The Great Controversy In Action

He almost died.